Sunday, September 1, 2013

Reading Challenge still going strong!

Hooray, it's September! I'm so, so ready for Autumn. Enough of this sweatbox called a city.

Today I'm updating my progress with the Semi-Charmed Life Summer Challenge - take a look at my first check-in if you're curious.

5 points: Freebie! Read any book you'd like, as long as it follows the above rules. :)
Gotta give a shout-out to My Education by Susan Choi (304 pp). Very possibly the best book I've read this year.

5:  Read a book that is less than 150 pages long. 

10: Read a book with a color in the title.
Golden Boy by Abigal Tarttelin (352 pp) - and wow, is that an incredible book.

10: Read a book that is not the first in its series. (And yes, it must be in a series.)

Countdown City by Ben Winters (316 pp) - actually enjoyed it more than its predecessor! (316 pp)


15: Read a book it seems everyone but you has read!
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (374 pp) - I've been hearing raves about this book for over a year, and boy it did not disappoint. Probably the funnest book I read during my Fourth of July reading binge.

15: Read a banned book.
Halfway through my selection for this one - stay tuned!

20: Read a book written by a celebrity. This can be a memoir or a fiction book published by someone who was already famous by another means (e.g. James Franco).  
Also have this one queued up - it's a short story collection, and I've read the first. It's a good one.

20: Read a non-fiction book that is not a memoir. It can be pure non-fiction or narrative non-fiction.
The Girls of Atomic City by Denise Kiernan (400 pp) - fairly interesting, but not so memorable.

20: Read a book that takes place in a state you have never been in. 
Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford (304 pp) takes place in Seattle, Washington, a place I'd love to visit someday even though I didn't like this book.

25: Read a book that is at least 400 pages long.
The Passage by Justin Cronin (568 pp)  - falls a little short of the first one, but still very enjoyable.

25: Read a book with a main character who shares your first name.

30: Read a book written by an author who was born in or died in your birth year.
Southern Cross the Dog by Bill Cheng (336 pp), which was unexpectedly hypnotic. (I found this NY Times article giving him the same age I currently boast. That's close enough for me.)

Points: 135, with 35 pending. 
I've chosen my less-than-150-pages book (though AHEM that should be "FEWER than 150 pages"), but so far have zero leads on finding a main character named Sharon. A little help, friends?

3 comments:

Megan C. Stroup said...

Ah! I definitely know that fewer is supposed to be used with specific numbers. That's embarrassing for a journalism major haha. Whoops!

Megan C. Stroup said...

Hey! I got your comment, but you're set up as a "no-reply blogger" so I couldn't email back. Do you think you'd be able to find a character with your middle name? That would be my first substitution suggestion. Let me know if that also doesn't work! I know a few other people have used their middle names already, so that is a-okay with me! Good luck. :)

Kerry M said...

I think there's a character in Grapes of Wrath whose name is Rose of Sharon? Does that count?

My Photo
Original Works Not to be copied, reproduced or otherwise used without the express permission of the author. sharon.pelletier@gmail.com

StatCounter